Happy Pi day! MaryJo made a couple of pies this morning to celebrate. Pineapple-coconut and they look delicious. You can take a look at them on my Facebook Page. She made one pie for us and the other one is for an older gentleman in our park who said he loves pineapple pie. I’m sure that he’ll like MaryJo’s pie! I didn’t make one, but settled on another comforting dish, a cheesy meatball skillet.
This is deliciously comforting and if you keep your portion size reasonable, has only 396 calories. I served this with a whole bunch of pan roasted broccoli that I fried with garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. The combination was amazingly good.
A full recipe of this cheesy meatball skillet is enough for 6 servings. When I made this, I used a 10 inch cast iron skillet and all the ingredients didn’t fit into it. If you use a 12 inch skillet, all the meatballs and the sauce would fit and give you all 6 servings.
The Italian style meatballs are flavorful, light, and tender. The simple marinara sauce is the sauce I made in this post. I just greatly reduced the amount of olive oil I used. The meatballs hold together nicely and are easy to brown in your skillet just by rolling them around. I did them in 3 separate batches in order to not crowd them in the skillet. This took 4 or 5 minutes per batch. You finish cooking them in the simmering marinara sauce and this also keeps them tender.
Put your grated cheese on top of everything and place the skillet in the oven broiler for 3 or 4 minutes, until the cheese melts and starts to brown up. Garnish with some chopped fresh basil and serve this delicious bad boy to your family or friends.
Cheesy Meatball Skillet
- 1 lb ground beef , 85% lean
- 2 tbsp grated onion
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning , (I used Penzey's)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 28 oz . can San Marzano whole tomatoes , pureed in food processor
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic , finely slivered
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water , to rinse out tomato can and food processor
- 6 oz . grated mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- Mix all ingredients except the ground beef in a medium sized bowl, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and mix with other ingredients by hand.
- Form meatballs using a tablespoon to make meatballs 1 to 1 1/8" diameter. 24 to 25 total
- Placed formed meatballs on a plate.
- Brown the meatballs in batches in a heavy skillet on medium high heat with a little olive oil, 4 or 5 mins.
- Carefully remove the browned balls with a spoon or slotted spatula and return to a plate.
- Turn on oven broiler, low heat
- In a large, oven proof skillet on medium heat add olive oil and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add pureed tomatoes, water, basil, red pepper and salt and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the basil, then add the meatballs and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the burner, sprinkle the meatballs and sauce with grated mozzarella.
- Place under the broiler, (6 inches) for 3 or 4 minutes, until the cheese melts and starts to brown
- Garnish with basil and serve hot