Ho Ho Ho. Just in time for the Holidays we’ve got the perfect, festive appetizer. Italian chicken meatball kabobs with a wonderful honey balsamic sauce. You could make a meal of these…I think I just did. Hey, I’ve got to eat what I make!
The Italian chicken meatballs are delicious and moist. Then chomp into a leaf of fresh basil and fresh mozzarella followed with a crunchy and slightly acidic grape tomato. Dip your morsels in the honey balsamic sauce for a flavor treat. All I can say is Yum!
Mary Jo made these meatballs a couple weeks ago and baked them in a macaroni and cheese dish and it was great. I took her basic recipe and kicked it up with Italian seasonings to make the meatballs work with the basil, fresh mozzarella and tomato. The meatballs hold together really well without the use of extra binders like eggs and bread crumbs. And, these only need to bake in the oven for 15 minutes. I placed them under the broiler for another 3 minutes to brown up and form a nice crust.
To make the meatballs, I used a #50 cookie scoop. It’s like an ice cream scoop but holds about a tablespoon. Mary Jo has about 6 different sizes for making cookies and other things.
The honey balsamic sauce is just tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar and honey with a pinch of salt. Heat this up in a pan while the meatballs are baking. Let the meatballs cool for 5 minutes or so after you pull them out of the oven before assembling your kabobs on skewers. The fresh mozzarella balls that I used are the Bel Gioioso snack balls that are the perfect size to use for the kabobs. Drizzle some of the honey balsamic sauce over the meatballs and serve more on the side.
You will love the flavor of these and I hope you’ll bookmark this recipe and make it for special occasions.
*This post contains an affiliate link. Thanks for your support in keeping Joe’s Healthy Meals up and running.
Honey Balsamic Italian Chicken Meatball Kabobs
- 1 8- oz . can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 packet Lipton recipe secrets onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh mozzarella balls
- grape tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- 4 inch skewers
- Place ingredients in a saucepan and heat until boiling
- Remove from heat and keep warm
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Slightly crush the contents of the onion packet before opening it by rolling with a can or glass jar
- Place the onion soup mix and spices in a large bowl and combine
- Add the half and half and stir to combine, then let it sit for a few minutes to rehydrate, then add the ground chicken and mix thoroughly with a rubber spatula to insure the meat and spices are well incorporated
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil
- Use a #50 cookie scoop to make 24 meatballs and place on the baking sheet. (Use a spoon if you don't have a cookie scoop)
- Bake for 15 minutes then place under the broiler for 3 minutes
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes
- Assemble kabobs with a grape tomato, mozzarella ball, basil leaf then a meatball
- Drizzle the meatball with the sauce and serve hot with sauce on the side