Mary Jo and I finally arrived in Florida for the winter and I’m able to use my little gas grill again! The temperature is still in the high 80’s here and is perfect for having grilled chorizo and vegetables foil pack. Kick back and grab an ice cold cerveza and check out this easy and oh so tasty main dish.
The chorizo that I used is the uncooked type that is packed in an uneatable casing. Therefore, I cooked the meat in boiling water for 10 minutes, then removed the meat from the casing. When doing this, there is a lot of pressure built up inside the casing. So, as you can imagine, when I stabbed the casing with my knife, I was immediately sprayed with the oil and liquid that was just waiting to be released. It shot up to my hair in a single spurt! Good thing I wear glasses, since my face got covered! And you thought that cooking is not dangerous. So I’m calling this Boyle’s Law. Don’t poke a pressure packed chorizo without protection! No harm done, just a little extra clean-up.
You can also find chorizo that is more in the Spanish style, that is smoked and in eatable casings. No need to cook this sausage, just slice and add to the foil pack.
I cooked the foil pack on the grill for 15 minutes. The vegetables were nicely done and soft, the way I like them. If you like a little more of a crunch to your veggies, cook the packet for only 8 or 10 minutes.
I also threw together a salsa roja, which is a tomato based hot sauce to drizzle on the finished veggies. It turned out really good and added a lot of flavor to the dish. It was made by cooking tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers together, then pureeing and adding spices. I’m going to make the salsa again and I’ll post the exact recipe soon. (Here it is)!
I think these grilled chorizo and vegetable foil packs would be a great way to have some friends over since you could throw this together and refrigerate until you are ready to cook them up. No fuss and not much clean-up. Unless you don’t abide by Boyle’s Law!
Grilled Chorizo and Vegetables Foil Pack
- 7.5 oz . chorizo , (3, 2.5 oz. links)
- 2 lg sweet peppers , sliced
- 1 med to lg summer squash , sliced
- 1 med yellow onion , coarse chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tbsp fresh , chopped cilantro
- olive oil drizzle in each packet
- pinch of salt in each packet
- Pre-cook chorizo links by boiling for 10 minutes, then remove meat from casing. (Poke casing with a knife while covered with paper towel to prevent squirting liquids).
- Cut chorizo into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Tear a 12 to 14 inch piece of aluminum foil for each packet
- Add vegetables and chorizo pieces to each packet, then drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt to each.
- Seal each foil pack and place on grill heated to medium.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Less time if you like crunchy veggies.
- Open packets being careful of hot steam and serve with hot sauce if desired