It must be pineapple season in Hawaii because the price of fresh pineapples is crazy right now. Our market had them for $.99 cents! How can you pass that up? You can’t. Fresh pineapple is so juicy and sweet and easy to clean and eat. Grill it or put a nice garnish on your drink. Just get some!
Picking the right pineapple that is ripe and juicy is no problem. No need to squeeze it or smell it. Just grab a leaf from the middle of the blossom and pull. If it comes out easily, that pineapple is ripe. And pineapples do not get more ripe with age. When they are picked that is as ripe as they will be.
So I have this pineapple and need to do something with it. Pineapple salsa! Perfect for chips or you could serve it with grilled meat. Easy too and so refreshing.
PINEAPPLE AND ROASTED PEPPER SALSA
- 1/2 fresh pineapple cleaned and cored and small diced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes , drained
- 12 oz , roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (1/2 cup packed leaves)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour for flavors to meld.
- Serve with tortilla chips or with grilled meats.
Hope you try this easy, tasty treat.